Claremont, North Carolina

In the early 1800’s, settlers came to what is now Claremont. Land was sold for only fifty cents an acre. Claremont was first called “Charlotte Crossing, but the United States Post Office did not approve of a name so similar to the City of Charlotte.  The townspeople shortened the name to “Crossing”, but the Southern Railroad urged the people to give their village a proper name.  They agreed and took the name “Clare”. They added “mount” because the village looked “as high as a mountain.” In 1892, the town was officially called Claremont and listed this way by the Post Office and the Southern Railroad.

Claremont is home to two very popular historic sites. Bunker’s Hill Covered Bridge is one of only two remaining covered bridges in the state. It is the only remaining example of the Improved Lattice Truss in the nation. It is designated as a National Civil Engineering Landmark, joining the ranks of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Dorton Arena. Claremont also houses Murray’s Mill. Murray’s Mill includes the 1913 mill itself, the 1890s Murray and Minges General Store, the 1880’s Wheathouse and the 1913 John Murray House, with is furnished to the period.